Sources of Information on Paston Hall
Various sources of information regarding the appearance of the old hall.
From the letters:
Agnes remarked that "your stewes do weel" - stewes were fish ponds
Antiquarian Anthony Norris 1730:
"The Hall much resembles that of a college, and indeed, the marks of its ancient magnificence are still everywhere visible"
Blomefield's History of Norfolk, published between 1739 and 1775:
"The old hall of this family stands near to the church, and had 2 courts; in the inner court is a well; the buttery hatch, with the hall, is standing, but the chambers over it, and the chapel, are in ruins. Over a door of the great staircase, out of the hall, the arms of Berry are carved."
Water-colour by Josiah Boydell 1790:
Extracts from The Educated Pin by Majorie Mack 1910:
"So indeed we doted on asparagus; nevertheless, when the emergence of a little fragment of tiled floor beneath the asparagus bed in the flint walled kitchen garden conincided with the arrival of a party of young guests for a long Easter week-end, the temptation to tear this old secret out of the earth was too great. Coats were flung off, asparagus roots and earth were flung aside, and the shoveliing proceeded feverishly till a whol perfect little tiled hexagonal chamber stood revealed to the April sun." p.16
"The whole estate of the Pastons was bought by Lord Anson on his return from the famous voyage round the world. He it was who demolished the ruins of the old 15th century hall and the Tudor farmhouse and built the orginal part of the new hall on the cellars probably of the latter. This theory, which is your grandmother Susannah's, is based on the fact that the cellars of the present Paston Hall are enormous, even for cellars built by a sailor in so thirsty an age. In the wall immediately above them, she has shown me some of those little slim bricks used in the day of the Tudors. p.16
William Paston by Edgar Robbins 1932
"Paston was also repairing the chapel and parlour of his mansion" p.22